Freedom we hardly knew ye

by Step on September 23, 2011

Summer’s over. The cycle begins again.

Don’t despair. Just hold on. Five o’clock comes every day; the weekend, four times a month.

Be a good boy. Nose to the grindstone. This is the price you pay to live.

Stop being selfish. Think of the people around you. This is the real world, son. There are mouths to feed.

Sweat for the money. Leave the playthings behind.

Don’t worry, you’ll get coffee and a thirty-minute lunch. Chin up, buddy. Summer will come around again.

What a tragic existence.

What was life like before we made ourselves slaves?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Guitta Hogue October 11, 2011 at 8:53 am

I find it pretty depressing. When I worked fulltime (albeit a relatively short time compared to others) I resented that I spend most of my day paying for my measly few hours at home in the evenings and weekends. But that’s just me. I figured I just don’t have a very strong work ethic or that I’m not motivated to support someone else’s vision.

Step October 12, 2011 at 6:50 am

Guitta I kinow the problem isn’t your work ethic. You’re right, it’s really demotivating when our work is only a means to an end, especially when it’s our work but someone else’s end.

So happy you have something different now!

Courtney October 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

Every day I’m thankful that I have meaningful work. Never have a I finished a class and looked out over a room full of students and wish I were somewhere else. In 11 years I’ve never made much money, actually I’d probably be considered poverty level if we were not a double income.
Watching my own teenagers start to think about education, it is a struggle not to push them into what I think they need. Encouraging my “tinkering” child to do what he wants to do is hard for me, his aspirations to work on cars are not what “I” pictured for this brilliant child. We encouraged him to be an engineer for years. Now we are trying to let go and let him be what makes him happy, which is really what “richness in life” is.

Step October 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

Courtney I think you bring up a really important point. Even if a line of work is good it might not be meaningful to particular individuals. It’s pretty fantastic when we can find work that is both meaningful and profitable.

Susan October 12, 2011 at 9:27 am

It was so timely for me to come across this-I am in the process of separating from the position I have now. I am an artist by trade but have been working in an administrative capacity in the non-profit sector. The work I have been doing has tremendous value but I have found myself increasingly feeling enslaved, weighted down by ‘job’ and adrift from those things that make me who I am. You captured it so perfectly. I am tired of watching the fall colored leaves just outside my window separated from the feel of the air and the remaining warmth of the sun. I may have to ‘sweat’ more to make ends meet once I leave but I would rather do that than continue on with a heavy heart–
Cheers to seeking out what makes one whole…

Step October 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

Thanks for commenting, Susan. I’m sorry you’ve come to know how destructive work can be.

May this transition be a positive turn in your story that transforms your work into a life-giving thing!